BT Group with Rio Ferdinand Foundation & 5 Star Active
Work Ready – Providing Positive Pathways for Young People
We launched our ‘Work Ready’ project to support disadvantaged young people (aged 14 – 21) into education, training and employment.
Devised collaboratively by Founder Rio Ferdinand, BT’s Head of Education, RFF’s youth panel and staff team, the project launched in February 2016. Year one, working initially in London and Doncaster before expanding to Manchester and Belfast, delivered the following with £75,000 funding and additional in-kind support including employment ‘boot camps’ delivered by BT staff:
• Community sports sessions
• Personal/Social development mentoring
• Accredited training
• Social action projects
• Employment initiatives
• Access to employers
Young people progressed onto seven-week traineeships across all BT departments with accreditations attached. Where appropriate young people then progressed onto BT apprenticeships.
Through BT’s involvement with Movement to Work Group (MtWG) our young graduates had access to other employers including Whitbread, Marriot, and Diageo. A huge success in year one with:
• 1,200 young people engaged in positive activities
• 600 young people receiving personal and social development mentoring
• 400 young people gaining accredited qualifications
• 300 young people volunteering in their community
• 240 taking part in employment initiatives and work placements with BT
• 200 young people progressing into further education, apprenticeships and employment.
BT are looking to give another £75,000 for the ongoing programme through their BT Supporters Club grants.